Thursday, September 16, 2004

Don't Tell me what to like Dammit!!

I am about to finish Brown's Da Vinci Code. I read Angels and Demons first, and that may have been a big mistake because I feel like I read the smae book twice. I have to tell you, I only read the books to get some people at work off my back. One can only come up with so many responses to "what do you mean you haven't read it yet? Everyone has! It's soooo good." Sorry folks, its not that good.

I'm not going to get into plot detail and the like because there have been hundreds of articles written about this phenomena. Go ahead and check any paper I'm sure you will find an article about what some people have decided is the best book they have read in such a long time. Anyway it isn't the subject matter that bothers me. I am a big fan of da Vinci (who the hell isn't) and many of the facts that were brought up were fun to investigate on-line. What bothered me about both books was the short chapter ending with a cliffhanger setup. Every fucking chapter. It is very frustrating. Brown's style to me drew similarties to television series. Like a soap opera, in between the commercials one cliffhanger answered another began the only thing missing was the music -- Dun, Dun, DUHHHH.

So I think everyone gets the point, I didn't like either of these books all that much, but there is a bigger issue that I've been pondering. Why is it that when something is hugely successful it makes me want to run in the opposite direction. Wifey brought home the new Sedaris book Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim the other day and for no other reason than the fact that I have yet to read any bad press for this guy and he seems to be the hip new thing over the past few years I already don't like the book. I want to read it but don't want to like it if that makes any sense. I have a friend who is an extremely intelligent and well read individual who is constantly telling me that I HAVE TO read all of the Harry Potter books. He insists that I will enjoy them but I can't seem to break through that barrier. I everyone likes it, it usually means I won't.

Is it me? Am I the only one who thinks that the majority opinion on the arts in this country is usually wrong. Why is it that a book making its way on to the Times Bestseller List is for me the kiss of death? I know I can't be the only one.

3 Comments:

At 12:48 AM, Blogger James said...

I don't think you're alone. The whole Harry Potter thing pretty much has me baffled. My wife tried to turn me onto those books...we compromised and I ended up trying to watch one of the movies. Okay, but it left me a little flat. I actually thought the DaVinci Code book was okay...I used to read detective novels & suspense thrillers when I was a kid, and this book had enough in common w/those. Was pretty hard for me to put the damn thing down. However, I enjoyed following up the claims in the DaVinci Code book much more, and found Secrets of the Code (an edited book with a lot of chapters by academic types) to be far more interesting - then again, I'm a bit of a nerd that way, so whadaya expect! :-)

 
At 12:48 AM, Blogger James said...

Oh, and btw, it took me a long while, but I'm glad I finally stumbled onto your new blog!

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger The Lioness said...

I also tend not to like bestsellers and for that reason resisted Harry Potter for an admirable long time. And then I resorted to borrowing it bcs there was nothing else for me to read and guess what - I'm a believer. I absolutely ADORE all the books and was mightily surprised at the intelligence of the plot and the substance and credibility of the characters. I am now anguished bcs there will only be 3 more - then what do I do??? The movies are cute but that's pretty much it.

DVC is ok as a thriller, and raises some interesting points. But I can't figure out why everyone and their dog is soooo enamored, it obviously fills some almost universal (Western) need that i can't quite fathom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home