Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Privacy

I had to buy someone at work a gift tonight for a secret Santa type event later in the week. While buying my big smelly jar candle at the famous big smelly jar candle store I was asked for my phone number when I was trying to pay cash. I have had this happen before at other stores and have been told that they have to get a number to get into the register and process. This time I didn't even ask and just gave a fake. I always end up giving the fake but for some reason I feel compelled to keep it close. I take my phone number and add one and I don't know why I do that. I know why I give a fake number (who the hell wants a call regarding big smelly jar candles?) What I don't know is why I feel compelled to only adjust my real number by one number. I could easily make something up with the same amount of digits but I want this lie to be as close to accurate as possible. I don't know why this is.

In a related bit of paranoia, I was buying something at a large department store and was asked my zip code. Now this is a demographic survey that I don't mind. At least I never have before but that night I decided that I was just too damn private to let this store try and record what area of the state this untraceable cash transaction came from. So I gave them my parents' zip.

Why do I do that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home