Thursday, January 13, 2005

The pumps don't work 'cause the vandals took the handles.

The ipod still has me captivated. Today while on the bus the shuffle seemed especially good. I know that it is completely random but who the hell knew you could go from Mos Def to Uncle Tupelo to U2 to Phish to the Bob Dylan referenced in the title of this post so seamlessly. The more I use this thing the more my CD collection surprises me with its depth. I haven't had this much fun listening to music since I figured out how to use my father's turntable.

When I was a kid my brother, sister, and I would spend the weekend with our cousins A & J about once a month. They lived about half an hour away from us but at twelve years old that might as well have been California. Getting together was always a big deal and we all looked forward to it. When I was twelve years old there was a rift in my Mom's family. Without going into detail there was a period of about 8 years in which one side of the family didn't speak to the other; like a Victorian novel we fell on opposite sides of this feud. About seven years ago said rift was resolved and cousins were reunited to a resounding thud.

Our formative years had passed without contact and A & J were different people just as we had been. The tension of the situation gave way to polite small talk and pleasantries. It all seemed a bit sad. None of us knew how to fix this. I think we all realized that we had just become those kinds of relatives that only see each other at major holidays. Once or twice a year was going to be it. C'est la vie.

Last night I went out to dinner with J. We each had burger and a few beers at the local brewery. Through a coincidence and well timed note left in my mailbox, a relationship all but dead was rekindled. Yeah that's right, I'm man enough to use the word rekindled. Anyway, it turns out that we ended up majoring in the same things in college; reading and loving the same books and authors; having similar beliefs on family, religion, and politics. Life is funny that way.

It was a great night and I hope that it was the first of many. We have more in common than blood (you see actually, we aren't related by blood, A & J are my uncle's wife's children from a previous marriage.) I am glad to have reconnected with long lost cousin who as it turns out will be a good friend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home