Sunday, April 10, 2005

Books of '05: The Guide.

In preparation for the upcoming film's release at the end of the month I have spent the last week traveling the galaxy with Arthur, Ford, Trillian, and Zaphod. Oh and Marvin, let us not forget our favorite paranoid android Marvin. A very close friend introduced me to the Hitchhiker's Guide when I was in junior high school with the book and a collection of tapes of the BBC Radio broadcasts. Said friend has moved all over the country in the years since and we rarely have a chance to get together. Re-reading the whole set of books has brought me back to many conversations we had as carefree eighth graders on summer vacation. Conversations on the important topics of science fiction, comedy, and of course why we are here. Those were heady days.

The books have been fun to revisit but I'm not sure I would like them if introduced today. Half the fun has been revisiting simpler days. I am looking forward to the movie though; if for no other reason than the casting of my favorite rapper Mos Def as Ford Prefect. Past TV and movie attempts to me have fallen flat because they could not show the scope of the Galaxy and traveling it for less than 30 Altarian Dollars a day. Special effects now make that possible. Should be worth the wait. I'm hoping.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home